When a tooth becomes infected, it requires special attention from a trained dentist. Sometimes, the recommended approach is to perform root canal therapy. This procedure eliminates infection at its source and reduces the risk for further issues. We offer this restorative dental treatment at our Baton Rouge, LA dental practice.
Have pain in a tooth? Concerned that a tooth may be abscessed? Set up an appointment at the conveniently located Juban Cowen Dental Care Office for immediate care. Call at (225) 927-8663 Or Schedule Your Appointment Online.
Root Canals Save Teeth
To perform root canal therapy, your dentist will create an access hole in the tooth and remove the pulp, including the nerves, blood vessels, and connective tissues. Next, the inside of the tooth is thoroughly cleaned and disinfected. The pulp chamber and root canals are then filled with gutta percha, a flexible, rubbery dental material. Finally, the tooth is sealed to reduce the risk of further contamination. In most cases, a dental crown is also recommended to protect and strengthen the affected tooth. Patients are completely numbed during this procedure to provide a pain-free experience. Depending on the severity of the infection, this treatment may be completed in one or two office visits.
Benefits of Root Canal Therapy in Baton Rouge
When performed by qualified dentists like Dr. Juban and Cowen, root canal therapy offers numerous patient benefits. For example:
- The tooth will not have to be removed. Instead, it can be preserved and continue to function naturally, with or without cosmetic dentistry enhancements if necessary.
- The pain of an infected tooth will disappear. Although root canals have a reputation for being uncomfortable, the only discomfort related to the procedure is the infection prior to the process.
- The chances of a serious tooth abscess will be significantly lowered. Tooth abscesses are highly painful and can lead to other oral issues. Root canal therapy is a permanent way to stop a tooth abscess from forming.
Signs a Patient Needs Root Canal Therapy
The only way to know for sure if you need root canal therapy is to visit an experienced dentist. However, there are a few warning signs that can indicate an infected tooth. Some of the most common include:
- Significant pain in and around the tooth. The discomfort may radiate into the jaw, face, ear, and even the neck.
- Pus seeping from the affected tooth. The pus may have an unpleasant odor or taste.
- Discoloration of a tooth, many times accompanied by pain or aching. This can be a sign that the tooth pulp is infected and the nerve has become damaged.
- A tooth that aches for weeks and suddenly stops hurting without intervention. Usually, significant toothaches do not go away on their own. At this point, the nerve may be damaged. Although the pain is gone, the chance of a tooth abscess is increased.
Sound familiar? Don’t delay. Root canal therapy works best when it happens soon after symptoms begin. Call Juban Cowen Dental Care or fill out the online form for an appointment.